DirectX 12 is Microsoft’s multimedia API to render the game, video graphics, and playing audio. The API is primarily for Windows, which support older DirectX 11, 10, and 9 versions. Windows 10 will not include the specific option to enable DirectX 12 ultimate. However, you can do several things to make sure that users have the latest DirectX 12 version installed.
Furthermore, users might need to configure specific in-game settings to enable DirectX 12 for specific games. In this guide, you will learn about different ways to enable DirectX 12 on your computer.
What is DirectX 12?
DirectX 12 is a set of components included in Windows 10 that allows software and especially games, to work directly with graphics and audio hardware. Games that will support DirectX 12 will boost your GPU performance so that users can enjoy a better gaming experience.
Methods for DirectX 12 Download for Windows 10/11 PC
There is no standard package for DirectX 12 or DirectX 12 ultimate. To download and install the compatible version of DirectX 12 on Windows 10 or Windows 11 then, you should use Windows 11. The DirectX 12 update will come with the Windows update by checking the detailed guide.
For Windows 10
When you are running on Windows 10 operating system, then you have already installed DirectX 12. But with the DirectX version or if users want to download ultimate on Windows 10, then check out the instructions mentioned below:
- Start by clicking on Windows + R, type winver, and click to enter to check the latest version of Windows installed on the computer.
If you are using Windows 10, then you need to download it on your computer. When the operating system version is lower than 2004, then users can get DirectX 12 to download on Windows 10 computer.
- After that, tap to start > settings > update and security > Windows update and then tap to check for updates button. With this, Windows will automatically download and display newer versions of Windows 10. Users can update Windows 10 OS to a newer version which is higher than 2004.
To check the current Windows 10 version after the update then, users need to type winver in the run dialog box.
- After updating Windows 10 to a higher version then, users can smoothly download and install DirectX 12 ultimate on Windows 10 computers.
For Windows 11
DirectX 12 ultimate feature will be built into Windows 11. To download and install the latest version, users can use Windows update. After that, tap to start > settings > Windows Update > check for updates to do it.
If you want to check the current DirectX 12 version, then click on Windows + R, type dxdiag, and click to enter to open the DirectX 12 diagnostic tool. Users can see DirectX next to the DirectX version, although the DirectX 13 ultimate is installed already.
Alternate Method for How to Install DirectX 12
Let’s check out an alternate method to learn about the steps to install DirectX 12 smoothly:
- Enable DirectX 12 in Windows 7
Windows 7 games like World of Warcraft will support DirectX 12. Users can enable DX12 for selected Windows 7 games by ensuring the NVIDIA or AMD GPU with an up-to-date driver.
Several users need to update the GPU driver to enable DirectX 12 ultimate in Windows 10. To make sure that the graphic card driver is up-to-date then, users need to run driver updater utility software.
Big-time gaming might be done without crashes or freezes by keeping all drivers up-to-date and error-free. It is advisable to perform a manual check, and that’s why it is advisable to use an automated assistant that will assist in scanning for fresh driver versions daily. Let’s check out how to use it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software and wait for the newly installed app to detect the PC’s faulty drivers.
- Users will be presented will a list of all the drivers that have issues, and users can choose the ones that users want to fix.
- Wait for the driver to download and the fixing process to complete.
- Lastly, you need to restart the computer for changes to take effect.
- Enable DirectX 12 in Windows 10
- Start by clicking on Win + I to open the settings menu.
- Choose Windows update.
- Click to check for updates to see if there is an available patch updated. If so, then users need to install the patch updates.
Although, DirectX end-user runtime web installer is available that will reinstall DX9, 10, and 11. Therefore, users need to enable DirectX 12 on Windows 10, and you should follow the guidelines above.
- Enable DirectX 12 for Fortnite
If you want to enable DirectX 12 for Fortnite, then check out the steps mentioned below:
- Start by launching the Fortnite game.
- Tap on the menu button at the top right of Fortnite’s title screen.
- Choose settings to open game options.
- Scroll down the video tab to the DirectX version option.
- Tap on the arrow button for the DirectX version setting to choose DirectX 12.
- Press on confirm button and tap on to Apply option.
- After that, users need to restart Fortnite for the DX12 changes to take effect.
As users want to see, it is simple to enable DirectX 12 in Fortnite by following the instructions mentioned.
- Enable DirectX 12 for Battlefront 2
- You need to start by opening Battlefront 2.
- Open the home screen in Battlefront 2.
- Choose options to open tab selections for the different setting categories.
- Choose the video tab, and then you need to enable DirectX 12 if it is off.
- Lastly, restart Battlefront 2 to apply new settings.
This is how users can smoothly enable DirectX 12 in Battlefront 2, so you need to try them out.
- Download and Install DirectX 12 through Windows Update
Let’s check out the steps to download and install the updates of DirectX 12 through Windows Update. Here’s how users can do it:
- Press the Windows logo key and I on the keyboard to open Windows settings. After that, tap on update and security.
- Tap to check for updates to download and install updates available for the computer. If there are some updates available for DirectX 12, then users can download and install the updates for Windows.
Check out the guide and learn about the ultimate download guide for DirectX 12, Windows 10, and 11. It is advisable to follow the steps properly to get proper information about how to turn on DirectX 12 smoothly.